Re: AW: delete-selection-mode

From: Chad Brown
Subject: Re: AW: delete-selection-mode
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2010 09:33:48 -0700

On Mar 18, 2010, at 1:15 AM, David Kastrup wrote:

> And get a bell.  In the course of a normal editing operation.
>
> We are talking about the beginner setup, remember?  The beginner that
> did not yet customize things (like visible-bell) because he does not
> know how.  The beginner that tries Emacs in an office full of people.
>
> Not that this beginner will have a clue about C-g anyway: he'll just
> have to figure out a different way to deactivate the region if he is
> ever going to type another character.

The beginner who finds itself with a highlighted region that it doesn't want
highlighted will remove it by clicking with the mouse, like they do in every
other editing context that they've ever used.  They will get no bell.

The slightly more advanced beginner who doesn't want to use the mouse will
instead use an arrow key, again like they do in every other editing context
that they've ever used.  Again, they will get no bell.

Eventually, if we lay out the breadcrumbs well and if their curiosity leads
them in that direction, they will discover that emacs can change this
interaction, and that removing the convenience of tmm/delsel (and many, many
people find that behavior more convenient) opens up the possibility of a more
elaborate set of options.  They'll also learn at that time (again assuming that
we handle that part of the documentation adequately) that there are middle
grounds between the two extremes, and that, as it says on the very first line
of description we show people:  ``GNU Emacs is an extensible, customizable text
editor—and more.'' -- and then they will decide for themselves.

*Chad