RE: AW: delete-selection-mode

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: AW: delete-selection-mode
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2010 14:56:36 -0700

> >> The "DEL deletes" functionality seems the main thing; a mode
> >> which only did that would probably be fine, and solve 95% of
> >> the muscle-memory-from-other-apps issues.
> >
> > Why? How will that help users who expect the usual
> > type-to-replace behavior?
>
> It won't, but based on what I've seen, I think that people
> who actually "type to delete", instead of hitting DEL first and _then_
> typing the new text, are a minority.

Not based on what I've seen. (And not based on what I do.)

The typical way I see people replace text is to (a) select it by dragging the
mouse over it and then (b) type the replacement text.

> The goal is _not_ to turn Emacs into windows,

Windows? WINDOWS? That bugbear again?

99% of the applications out there, on 99% of the computers (on 100% of the
platforms?) have this behavior. (No, I don't have proof of the percentages.)

Your fear of the Windows bogeyman is apparently making you blind to the much
larger reality. Perhaps you live 100% inside Emacs, but many people do not
(including many hard-core Emacs users).

> Clearly there are many controversial issues in this area, so we should
> pick off the low-hanging fruit first.

You see controversy where most people see de facto standard behavior (and useful
behavior, at that). Bill Gates is behind the evil select-and-type-to-replace
virus!