Re: delete-selection-mode

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: delete-selection-mode
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2010 03:36:56 +0100

On Sat, Mar 20, 2010 at 3:24 AM, Richard Stallman <address@hidden> wrote:

>    > I've just spoken to my sister, an "ordinary" computer user.  She says
>    > she normally uses the <delete> key after marking text before typing
>    > further.  She also gets annoyed "every now and then" when marked text
>    > gets accidentally deleted by typing, though "it's not too bad" if
>    > there's an undo key sequence.
>
>    Yes, that is normal today since that is how it works during most of
>    the editing people do today.
>
> Alan's point is that one ordinary user dislikes what most programs do
> today.  She dislikes it in the other programs, and she would dislike
> it in Emacs too if we made Emacs do it.

I happened to dislike it myself the first time it happened to me.
However I got used to it. There could be other ways but I can see no
real reason they are better (at least not the versions I can think
of).

My conclusion here is: follow the de facto standards - as long as the
key sequences used belongs to these standards.