Re: next emacs version?

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: next emacs version?
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2010 16:51:03 +0100

On Sat, Mar 20, 2010 at 4:42 AM, Óscar Fuentes <address@hidden> wrote:
> Lennart Borgman <address@hidden> writes:
>
>>> Unless you want to start putting bzr revision numbers into the emacs
>>> version string (which I think is a bad idea), that's going to be the
>>> case.
>>
>> But perhaps having the bzr version available in another variable in
>> the build Emacs would be a good idea?
>
> It would be useful to include bzr's revision id (not revision number)
> along the info sent by M-x report-emacs-bug.

I suggest that something like this is used to get the info

  bzr version-info --custom --template "(defconst
emacs-bzr-revision-id \"{revision_id}\")"
  bzr version-info --custom --template "(defconst emacs-bzr-date \"{date}\")"
  bzr version-info --custom --template "(defconst emacs-bzr-revno {revno})"
  bzr version-info --custom --template "(defconst
emacs-bzr-branch-nick \"{branch_nick}\")"

and the output is put in a file emacs-bzr-id.el that is loaded at startup.