Re: delete-selection-mode

From: Manoj Srivastava
Subject: Re: delete-selection-mode
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2010 01:26:45 -0700

On Thu, Mar 18 2010, Alan Mackenzie wrote:

>> In Emacsen without zmacs-regions/transient-mark-mode on, I agree
>> strongly.  In Emacs with t-m-m, I disagree strongly.
>
>> Yes, veteran users will find the change in defaults (both t-m-m and
>> delsel, whether simultaneously or sequentially) an irritating
>> distraction.  There should be a way for veterans to tell Emacs "Read
>> my lips: No New UI Features", but sadly enough, there isn't.  But vets
>> know how to turn off such annoyances quickly and permanently.
>
> Do they?  How do we know there aren't lots of "veteran" users who don't
> really know how to configure the thing?

        I have been using Emacs since 1987, but I do not know if I
 qualify to be a veteran by that criteria. Until I read this thread, I
 had noticed that large chunks of my buffers disappeared on me, but had
 not yet narrowed down what was causing this. I had even resorted to
 using vim instead.

        Shouldn't changes in default behaviour come with obvious
 instructions on how to revert things, like in the NEWS file?

        manoj
--
Broken promises don't upset me.  I just think, why did they believe me?
Manoj Srivastava <address@hidden> <http://www.golden-gryphon.com/>