Autoloading (was: bug#5752: 23.1.94; sgml-lexical-context in post-comman

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Autoloading (was: bug#5752: 23.1.94; sgml-lexical-context in post-command-hook)
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2010 10:29:25 -0400

> Fixed in emacs-23 branch by autoloading sgml-lexical-context in
> flyspell.el.

BTW, such manual autoloads are slightly problematic since they fail to
provide docstrings (and arglists).

I'm not sure how best to resolve such issues, but one solution I've been
considering (for quite a while yet, but have never found time to dig
into it) is to introduce a new form (require-autoload <feature>) which
would behave as follows:
- when interpreting, it's just a require (we can't do much better).
- when compiling, it causes the package to be loaded at compile time but
  in the .elc it's replaced by a bunch of autoloads (computed by the
  byte-compiler based on the intersection of the set of functions
  defined by <feature> and the set of functions called from the .elc
  file).

-- Stefan