Re: kill-ring visualization

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: kill-ring visualization
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 09:54:58 -0400

>> OTOH the few times I've used it I wished it use a form of completion.
>> Basically, I'd like it to use an interface similar to completing-read,
>> except maybe that it'd bring up the *Completions* buffer right away (and
>> that the completion would use a substring search).
>>
>> So I think if we want to enable such a feature by default, it'd need to
>> be better integrated with the completion code.

> And please also add an ability to search for a regexp in completions
> of the kill-ring.

If you use a `substring' style completion, you're already closer (tho
it's not a regexp-search).

        Stefan

PS: I do not know how to do regexp-style completion, to tell you the
truth.  I.e. I know how to implement the all-completions part of it,
obviously, but I don't know how to then merge the matches into something
suitable for try-complétion.  I guess you could just apply
try-completion to the list of matches, but that would only lead to
something useful if the matches share some prefix.