Re: Windows 9X compatibility

From: joakim
Subject: Re: Windows 9X compatibility
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2010 20:03:01 +0200

> On Sun, Mar 28, 2010 at 17:56, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> True, there is some maintenance burden, but I personally find it
>> insignificant.  The code to load a library safely and invoke functions
>> that may not exist is very simple, almost boilerplate, and each
>> additional API that needs this treatment just needs more-or-less
>> copy-pasted more of the same.
>>
>> Once again, I'm bewildered by the intense reaction to this issue,
>> given the facts.
>
> FWIW, I agree.
>
>     Juanma

I have done some pretty intense C level Emacs hacking, regarding image
support and the display engine. The many different supported plattforms
does make the code harder to read, and I dont generally know if my code
works on other platforms than my own. OTOH the great cross platform
support is one of the aspects that made me use Emacs initially, so its a
worthwile cause to keep it working on many platforms.

Since dynamic linking has now been approved for the Emacs core, maybe
some plugin architecture could be designed now, that makes it easier to
support different platforms.

--
Joakim Verona