Building Emacs with MSVC

From: Christoph
Subject: Building Emacs with MSVC
Date: Tue, 06 Apr 2010 20:37:22 -0600

Does anybody know which version of MSVC successfully built Emacs last?

This blog post http://derekslager.com/blog/posts/2007/01/emacs-hack-3-compile-emacs-from-cvs-on-windows.ashx points to MSVC 2003 as a version that apparently worked. According to the post and comments in the Emacs makefiles, MSVC 2005 does not work.

I have MSVC 2008 Express Edition installed and I have the trunk to the point where it compiles and links, but crashes when dumping Emacs on nmake bootstrap. The necessary changes to get to this point included various source files, and nmake.defs. I will submit patches for some of these.

Anyway, I was wondering what the general status of MSVC support is. While working on the make dist target I realized how painful MSVC support can be.