Re: Gtk tabs in emacs, new branch.

From: Jan Djärv
Subject: Re: Gtk tabs in emacs, new branch.
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2010 07:51:49 +0200

Stefan Monnier skrev 2010-04-10 03.22:
It isn't any "idea" as such, it is practicallity and user experience. For
example, I tried having switching in elisp, but it is too slow (causes
flicker) and there are race conditions between when the widget does the
switching and when Emacs thinks the switch is done.

There is nothing in the current implementation that excludes lisp
functions for switching, creation, e.t.c, but it doesn't give any
advantages, just complications.

Tabs may seem like a good idea to switch between different
window-configurations, but there can actually be other uses for it.
And even for that use, there can be different choices in terms of which
tabs to show, ...
All that needs to be written in Lisp.

I'm not a big fan for making things general just for the sake of making things general so we maybe in the future can add something we don't know what it is now.

Are there any concrete examples of other uses? I still think window configurations are the "natural" thing, as this is how tabs are used in web browsers, other editors, IDE:s and so on. That doesn't mean that tabs must be exclusively about window configurations. The implementation can easily be made to do tabs also for "other" lisp-based uses. But implementation for the primary use case (window configurations) should not have to suffer because of other uses.

But I still haven't seen any example of other uses, so I haven't made gtk-tabs for that.

        Jan D.