Re: Guile in Emacs

From: Christian Lynbech
Subject: Re: Guile in Emacs
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2010 05:33:04 +0200

>> While it will be easy to list examples of existing libraries few will
>> miss, emacs killer features such as gnus or org-mode still represent
>> significant investments that are not easily reproduced from scratch.

Thomas> Sure.  But don't misunderestimate the rapidity with
Thomas> which a programmer fluent in both Emacs lisp and Scheme
Thomas> can sit down and port those programs from one language to
Thomas> the other.

Possibly, but what scares me in that is the amount of dedication from
*both* library authors and users needed at the same point in time to make
such a switch happen.

Users will not switch unless the packages they use are not ready in the
new form and authors will not switch until the user base is ready to
follow. It can very easily end up in a catch 22 situation.

It is not that there haven't been several attempts already to implement
a new direction for emacs.

                             -- Chrisitian