make distclean does not delete everything?

From: Christoph
Subject: make distclean does not delete everything?
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2010 19:20:31 -0600

I ran make distclean on an Emacs git checkout on Xubuntu 9.10 and expected to see a clean checkout directory with all build files removed.

However, git status showed there were a couple of files left, which were not in version control:

etc/emacs.pyc
etc/emacs2.pyc

and

lisp/MANIFEST

These files were generated on one of my previous builds. Shouldn't they also be removed by distclean? extraclean also does not seem to remove these. Bug?

Christoph