Re: [emacs-devel] some emacs history

From: Nelson H. F. Beebe
Subject: Re: [emacs-devel] some emacs history
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2010 16:28:10 -0600 (MDT)

Thomas Lord <address@hidden> raises a memory "CGI Emacs" about 1983 or
so.

I think you mean CCA Emacs (Computer Corporation of America, perhaps?).

It was the first Emacs available on VAX VMS, and was a commercial
product. We had it here at Utah for a couple of years, I think, until
GNU Emacs became available (but memory is hazy after 20+ years).

There are lists of historical emacs programs at

        http://www.finseth.com/emacs.html

The author of that site wrote the 1991 book "The Craft of Text Editing
--- Emacs for the Modern World".  That book, and many others, are
recorded at

        http://www.math.utah.edu/pub/tex/bib/index-table-g.html#gnu

- Department of Mathematics, 110 LCB    Internet e-mail: address@hidden  -
- 155 S 1400 E RM 233                       address@hidden  address@hidden -