Re: Canonical location for emacs-version string in source tree?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Canonical location for emacs-version string in source tree?
Date: Fri, 21 May 2010 08:44:43 +0300

> From: Ken Raeburn <address@hidden>
> Date: Thu, 20 May 2010 21:39:53 -0400
> Cc: "Emacs Dev \[emacs-devel\]" <address@hidden>
>
> Making the C code aware of the version number seemed like the
> easiest way to deal with it.  I'm sorry about the problem with the
> MS-DOS build; I took this approach because I thought that it (unlike
> trying to generate all version-string appearances from one canonical
> source) would be a simple, relatively minor change with little
> impact on the DOS/Windows builds.

It _is_ with little impact, but the DOS build looks into version.el to
set $(version) in the top-level Makefile, which all the sub-Make's
then use.  You probably didn't think of grepping the files in the
msdos/ subdirectory when you looked for the effects of that change.  I
will fix this when I have time.

I don't expect anyone to know all those factoids, much less being an
expert on how the DOS port builds and works.  Just talking before
changes like that are made is good enough.