Re: Bootstrap failure using 'make -j4' [Cygwin]

From: Jan Djärv
Subject: Re: Bootstrap failure using 'make -j4' [Cygwin]
Date: Sat, 22 May 2010 15:54:29 +0200

Eli Zaretskii skrev 2010-05-22 15.21:
Date: Sat, 22 May 2010 15:00:01 +0200
From: Jan Djärv<address@hidden>
CC: address@hidden, address@hidden

I think the -p switch to mkdir is not portable.

I has been in The Single UNIX ® Specification since 1997 at least.  I think it
was in POSIX 2 as well (1990), but I lost it, so I can't check.

Do you know any system that doesn't have it?

Not by name, no.  But this is in the GNU Coding Statndards:

        Generally, stick to the widely-supported (usually POSIX-specified)
     options and features of these programs.  For example, don't use `mkdir
     -p', convenient as it may be, because a few systems don't support it at
     all and with others, it is not safe for parallel execution.

If this is no longer a consideration, perhaps we should ask Richard to
amend standards.texi.

Well, -p is in POSIX now, so I guess the standards needs to be updated on that point. But it is still not parallel safe.

Emacs uses prototypes in C without macros now, and that is something the GNU coding standards says not to do. So I really don't know how relevant the GNU Coding standards are for Emacs developemnt.

        Jan D.