word-wrap (visual-line) and indents

From: David Reitter
Subject: word-wrap (visual-line) and indents
Date: Tue, 25 May 2010 11:37:31 -0400

Speaking of word-wrapping, I thought now would be a good time to bring up the
missing feature of per-line indentation when word wrapping.

A recent conversation is quoted below, pointing out that word-wrap is less than
ideal when it comes to displaying e-mail (and the like).
A similar example would be org-mode, where you would begin a (buffer) line with
"- " or "  - "  and where word-wrap would, ideally, recognize such
indentations.

A buffer-local variable indicating a regexp that matches indentation prefixes
would be ideal.  (As a feature, I would even suggest that if the regexp has a
\\(group\\), the only the length of that group is taken as the indentation
length.

To display the actual indentation, I think auto-fill-mode used the same prefix
string that was recognized.  This was fine for e-mail quotes, but always very
annoying visually for lists with "- ".  I can see that the latter used to be
necessary for org-mode, because buffer lines were created when auto-filling,
but the visual word-wrap doesn't have to respect that.

Indentation with spaces would be sufficient, given that e-mail quotes can also
be highlighted by color.   However, if repeating the prefix is desired, then
one could make this configurable per buffer (either prefix or spaces).