Re: [RFC] syslog interface

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [RFC] syslog interface
Date: Thu, 27 May 2010 20:49:07 +0300

> Date: Thu, 27 May 2010 14:18:47 +0900 (JST)
> From: Masatake YAMATO <address@hidden>
>
> My idea is using syslog implemention in libc;
> it handles the protocol, and we can expect it is maintained well. If
> the protocol is changed the libc maintainer will update the function.
> As the result we can use/maintain syslog interfae from elisp without
> worrying about the protocol changing.
>
> Here is sample implemention. It comes from two parts: syslog.el and a patch
> for emacs.

IMHO, this syslog.el is too specific to the single platform on which
it was coded.  It should be more portable: not to expose highly
system-dependent constants, for example.  All this unportable stuff
should be inside the primitive, because the primitive will have to be
implemented for every platform that has its own syslog facility and
API.

See proced.el for an example of another similar facility, and the
primitives it uses.