Re: trunk build failure on windows

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: trunk build failure on windows
Date: Sat, 05 Jun 2010 10:51:46 -0400

> From: Sean Sieger <address@hidden>
> Date: Sat, 05 Jun 2010 10:33:11 -0400
>
> Anyway, maybe I'll hear from ya before I get the time to go back to an
> earlier GCC (will 4.4 work? and can it an 4.5 co-exist in my MinGW?),
> otherwise I'll move back to said earlier GCC.

I think only GCC 4.5 has that problem.

As for coexistence: each version of gcc.exe should be able to find its
own sub-programs (they are installed in different directories whose
name includes the version).  So what I usually do is rename the couple
of executables installed on PATH to something like gcc45.exe and
cpp45.exe, and invoke them by that name when I need.

> And another question, given the compilers co-existance, when I
> configure, do I use the argument say `--with-gcc=4.4' or something?

This is not supported by the current nt/configure.bat.  --with-gcc
means use the compiler named literally "gcc".  You could rename
gcc45.exe to gcc.exe before running configure.bat, though.

(Btw, if the problem is really in GCC 4.5, why would you want to leave
a buggy compiler on your system?  I'd just nuke it.)