Re: ^D is broken in shell-mode

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: ^D is broken in shell-mode
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 2010 10:06:11 +0900

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:
>> It's been a long time since I did pty programming, but I seem to recall
>> that at least in some pty states, doing a zero-length write in the pty
>> master will send an end-of-file to the slave tty.  I don't recall the
>> details though...
>
> I really wish someone could help.  At least if someone could point me to
> some kind of documentation that would be very helpful.  The best "doc"
> I could find so far is the xterm source code, which I do not really
> understand and whose behavior I haven't been able to reproduce yet
> (e.g. it seems not to disable ICANON mode, and it doesn't seem to ever
> send EOF either, even when sending large chunks of data, yet that data
> doesn't get truncated, whereas when I try to to make Emacs send large
> amounts of data in ICANON mode without EOFs, it gets truncated).

I may be thinking of TIOCREMOTE (from the solaris man page: "In normal
usage, a write of data is like the data typed as a line on the terminal;
a write of 0 bytes is like typing an EOF character"), but unfortunately
on linux the tty_ioctl man page says:  "The BSD ioctls TIOCSTOP,
TIOCSTART, TIOCUCNTL, TIOCREMOTE have not been implemented under Linux."

Still I'd think there would be some sort of equivalent functionality...

-Miles

--
Happiness, n. An agreeable sensation arising from contemplating the misery of
another.