Re: unit test framework

From: Christian Ohler
Subject: Re: unit test framework
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2010 16:06:45 +1000

address@hidden, 2010-04-13:

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

I write try to write unit tests for my elisp, and it would be much
easier if there was a canonical unit test framework in Emacs.
Yes, that's the intention.  We should pick one and run with it.
The choice doesn't have to be "the very best", but it should aim for:
- simple&clean code, easy to maintain&extend.
- well maintained with a maintainer interested in taking a lead helping
  us integrate it into Emacs.

        Stefan

I've now tested "elunit" and converted to "ert". So far I prefer "ert"
because its available in ELPA, and the report looks like the ones I'm
used to get with JUnit or something similar.

OTOH none of the packages reported exactly where in my code my errors
where. "ert" was slightly better tough.

Just my €0.02, to get the thread going again. Again, to quote Stefan, we
should just pick something and run with it. I'm sure Emacs will
improve from it.

I was very busy and missed this whole thread. Sorry. I assume no conclusion has been reached?

It seems that ert has a few supporters already. I had a look at the other frameworks, and while things like mocking support and perhaps elk-test's fringe markers could be nice to add on top, I am fairly confident that ert has the most useful core, by which I mean basic functionality like defining and running tests and presenting failures in a (somewhat) comprehensible way.

For example, it has a `should' macro to express assertions that generalizes the `assert-eq', `assert-equal' etc. macros in elk-test, and installs a debugger hook rather than catching errors with condition-case so that it can capture backtraces of errors in tests. Features like these add a little bit of complexity to ert's code, but they simplify testing and debugging other code, so they are worthwhile.

Unlike some other frameworks, ert does not dictate any particular style of testing; its deftest is very similar to defun, and tests can be stateful or functional as needed. It was designed for Emacs Lisp and fits nicely into it rather than imitating frameworks from other environments.

It does not yet include utilities for testing Emacs state such as window layouts and buffer contents with text properties, or user input, but such utilities are orthogonal to the basic test execution framework and can be added incrementally. I think Lennart has some of this already in his fork.

I don't know if the code qualifies as well-maintained; I haven't touched it in a while, since no bugs have been reported, but I haven't been very good at accepting patches to add features, either. (Sorry Yamato-san, I'll look at your patch today.) On the other hand, the other frameworks have been dormant for long periods as well.

I have some spare time now and can offer to work on integrating ert into Emacs; any suggestions where to start? Where does a file like ert.el belong? Where should the corresponding tests go? Should I try to change makefiles to let tests run automatically during build?

My employer has a blanket copyright assignment. Please contact me off-list if this needs further discussion.

Christian.