Re: Feature needed

From: James Cloos
Subject: Re: Feature needed
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2010 07:43:35 -0400

>> Checking every input method might be too ram or i/o intensive for all
>> users, but would make a reasonable option.

SJT> No, it's not.  The vast majority of character inputs are embedded in
SJT> self-modifying tries, ie, East Asian phonetic input for Han ideographs
SJT> in complex system-wide servers.  I don't see how you plan to get this
SJT> information out of SCIM/Anthy, for example, or Xlib/XIM for Greek for
SJT> that matter.

Sorry.  I thought that it went w/o saying that I was referring to quail.
And, as I found out trying to input 日本語 yesterday, even then only a
subset are doable.  Perhaps if the char is in a UCS/TUS script which is
supported by one or more 'simple' quail IMs it could optionally iterate
through those looking for matches?

As for why, Miles and Daniel hit the nail on the head; to know how to
input it in the future.

-JimC
--
James Cloos <address@hidden>         OpenPGP: 1024D/ED7DAEA6