Re: Composing Hebrew diacriticals

From: Yair F
Subject: Re: Composing Hebrew diacriticals
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2010 23:30:17 +0300

On Thu, Jul 1, 2010 at 8:52 AM, Kenichi Handa <address@hidden> wrote:
> All those are glyph positioning problems and can be improved
>by adding more code to hebrew-shape-gstring.

What else problem do you expect? So far I see no other problems
regarding bidi or compositions.

> ??? When I open your hebrew-sample2.txt with oowriter, and
> specify Arial font, the rendering is almost (exactly?) the
> same as that of Emacs (see the attached image).
 urrent oo p
You are right. Maybe it was with a special Hebrew oo version I don't
have it now, or maybe on other OS. current oo practice is "use proper
fonts" :(

>I think it's a dirty &
> ad-hoc hack.
>
> Theoretically, it is possible to do the same thing in the
> function hebrew-shape-gstring.  But, is it really worth
> doing that?  Isn't it enough to tell Hebrew users to use
> properly desinged OpenType fonts?

The sad answer on free systems is that there are nealy no such fonts.
The common answer for "Why is Hebrew so ugly on Linux?" is "Install
Culmus and msttcorefonts".
I guess that is the reason for the twaks you mentioned.

> As Kate is a KDE application, I think it's not using Pango.
> But, if it renders Hebrew with Arial well, it (or rendering
> module of KDE/Qt) should have the similar ad-hoc code.

Maybe, as you can see I don't know much about rending engines.

An additional and possibly less ugly path is to use presentation forms
when available.(UFB20) There are additional forms in the private use
area.