Re: stop using P_, __P in header files

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: stop using P_, __P in header files
Date: Sun, 4 Jul 2010 17:35:46 +0200

On Sun, Jul 4, 2010 at 10:08, Dan Nicolaescu <address@hidden> wrote:

> I've done most of this.

Thanks. I've fixed a few prototypes that break compilation on Windows
or generate warnings.

A few questions:

1) This one and similar ones on unexelf.c seem errors:

-round_up (x, y)
-     ElfW(Addr) x, y;
+round_up (Elf32_Addr x, Elf32_Addr y)

The prototypes should presumably still use ElfW(Addr), ElfW(Ehdr),
etc., shouldn't they?

2) In strftme.c you've converted just some functions, not all, and
removed the LOCALE_PARAM* macros.

 static CHAR_T *
-memcpy_lowcase (dest, src, len LOCALE_PARAM)
-     CHAR_T *dest;
-     const CHAR_T *src;
-     size_t len;
-     LOCALE_PARAM_DECL
+memcpy_lowcase (char *dest, const char *src, size_t len)

Apparently, there haven't been any changes from gnulib merged back
into strftime.c in the past seven years (since 2003-06-24). Should the
LOCALE_PARAM* macros still be used (and so, re-added to
memcpy_(low|upp)case), or would it be better to just get rid of that
cruft?

3) After this change in print.c

 static void
-strout (ptr, size, size_byte, printcharfun, multibyte)
-     char *ptr;
-     int size, size_byte;
-     Lisp_Object printcharfun;
-     int multibyte;
+strout (char *ptr, int size, int size_byte, Lisp_Object printcharfun,
int multibyte)
 {

compilation throws this warning:

print.c: In function 'print_object':
print.c:1973: warning: passing argument 1 of 'strout' discards
qualifiers from pointer target type
print.c:353: note: expected 'char *' but argument is of type 'const char *'

becase of the call

          strout (XSUBR (obj)->symbol_name, -1, -1, printcharfun, 0);

AFAICS, the object pointed to by PTR is never modified, so it seems
safe to use const char *, and I've done so.

    Juanma