Re: Efforts to attract more users?

From: Aneesh Kumar K. V
Subject: Re: Efforts to attract more users?
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 2010 12:56:40 +0530

On Thu, 08 Jul 2010 23:05:31 -0400, Richard Stallman <address@hidden> wrote:
> The Eclipse IDE has some nice features.  Maybe CEDET gives us some of
> them, but maybe we still lack some.
>
> I saw it once, and it used tabs a lot for switching between different views.
> We need to be able to do that too.
>
> Also, one advantage of Eclipse's GUI interface is that it shows you a
> lot of features when they might be useful.  So you don't have as much
> to learn and remember.

Rather than features one of important thing to "fix" would be to make
CEDET faster. Pushing some of CEDET related task to thread (when
threading becomes available) or converting some of the performance
sensitive code to C and call them from emacs would be a solution. Right
now with CEDET enabled, it gets in the way of normal editing. I have to
explicitly set semantic-idle-scheduler-idle-time to a higher value to
prevent idle scheduler from kicking in early.

-aneesh