Re: Emacs learning curve

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: Emacs learning curve
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2010 01:53:53 +0200

"Drew Adams" <address@hidden> writes:

>> BTW, the red/green issue is more real than you seem to think. Have you
>> developed a GUI (or any sort of visual interface) that uses colors for
>> communicating critical info? A color-blind subject could argue that
>> you are being perverse when using red and green for displaying info,
>> no matter you refer to them by the "right" names on the manual.
>
> Sigh.  I was afraid of this.  You are probably not truly missing the
> point (I hope), but you are certainly acting as if you were.  Mauvaise
> foi, it must be.

No, I'm not missing the point at all. Whoever chose the terms
split-window-horizontally and split-window-vertically did a suboptimal
job, because they mean different things to different people, and using
ambiguous terms or expressions must be avoided. The fact that this
sub-topic arised is proof of the problematic nature of those terms.

And usage of down/up on Emacs (as for scrolling) contradicts current
stablished practice. Yes, there is a reasoning for doing what Emacs
does, but the issue is that it is contrary to the expectations of almost
anybody who learned to use computers on the last 20 years.

Terms must convey meaning to users, not confuse them.

[snip]