Re: Clipboard interactions

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: Clipboard interactions
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2010 11:06:59 +0900

Jan Djärv writes:

 > If we are talking about copy/paste of text from Emacs, Xt would not enter in
 > to it.  AFAIK, the only place where Motif may be involved in Emacs is
 > copy/paste in the file dialog.  All selection code in Emacs is plain X.

Don't take the toolkit name too seriously.  What I mean is that there
is a clipboard protocol in the ICCCM, and which does involve some
overhead.  Doesn't Emacs conform to that protocol when copying to/
pasting from the clipboard?  If so, it should suffer from similar
overhead.  Our experience is that the overhead is perceptible in 1
Mbit network environments in some conditions we don't really
understand.  Not frequent, but frequent enough that having the option
to turn off clipboard is useful for users who only need "drag button1
to select, click button2 to copy".