Re: Emacs learning curve

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Emacs learning curve
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2010 19:27:40 -0400

"Alfred M. Szmidt" <address@hidden> wrote:

    > Regarding features, this is infact what people are having problems
    > with, like yourself and _not_ about terminology.  The most basic
    > prerequisite for any feature is that it should work without any
    > configuration, one shouldn't have to define what a tetromino is to
    > play tetris even though your tetromino might be different from mine.

I agree completely.

We cannot hope to make all Emacs features totally easy to use without
a manual and without configuration, because that would require
discarding what makes Emacs good for us.  But we can make a lot of
Emacs features a lot easier to use without a manual or configuration,
without giving up anything important.

I think it is very important to do that.