Re: Current CEDET version in the trunk

From: Eric M. Ludlam
Subject: Re: Current CEDET version in the trunk
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2010 22:45:55 -0400

Hi

On 07/13/2010 08:50 PM, Christoph wrote:
The Semantic manual is a good way to get started, but there are quite a
few things that do not work according to the manual and it is not
obvious how to make it work. For example, using Smart completion (with
semantic-complete-analyze-inline) the manual says that M-n/M-p select
the next/previous matches. This does not work. M-n/M-p does nothing. C-h
k in this mode says, the keys are not assigned to anything.

The keymaps used for completion are done via pre-command-hook which obscures them from C-h k. I just tried it out and M-n and p work for me with CEDET/CVS in Emacs Lisp mode using the idle completion feature.

Maybe we should better integrate and polish certain features one at a
time. Semantic seems like a great first choice to me. Semantic-based
completion and code browsing out of the box. I still have not been able

I tend to agree. While CEDET/Semantic has some completion UI tools, there are others completion UIs that just use the the smart completion back-end to calculate values. (ie - company mode, predictive, hippie expand) The Emacs community here has a wide range of choice for selecting the 'official' way of doing smart completion inline. Do not assume that the completion engine I wrote is particularly special just because it is in the semantic package. That said, it does have some cool features. ;)

Is anybody actively working on integrating CEDET better with Emacs right
now? Or do we just merge the snapshots into the trunk?

Lluis is trying to setup an CEDET/bzr repository for me where merges can happen more easily. My most recent papers should be at the FSF now, allowing free-flowing patches and merges to occur.

Now, going through the manual and playing with it I found quite a few
inconsistencies/bugs. Where is the right place to report those? The GNU
bug tracker or the Sourceforge tracker?

I use the cedet-devel mailing lists on the CEDET sourceforge site, and usually just fix things as they arrive. If changes go into Emacs, I'll eventually get them so that is fine with me also.

Eric