Re: Emacs, QT and Cairo

From: David Engster
Subject: Re: Emacs, QT and Cairo
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2010 16:14:44 +0200

Drew Adams writes:
>> http://blogs.sun.com/tor/resource/formatting-before.png
>> I think it is currently not possible to do stuff like this?
>
> Depends what you mean by "stuff like this".  See vline.el and col-highlight.el
>
> http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/HighlightCurrentColumn

I mean stuff like "draw a line with a width of 1 pixel transparently at
a certain position in this buffer". For example, instead of a different
background color, I would like to draw a rectangle around code forming
one semantic tag in the Minimap. Another one: I think faint lines
hinting at the indentation level might be useful at times, like Komodo
does it:

http://delimitdesign.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/komodo-edit-text-editor.jpg

I know I can use overlays to approximate that, but I'd have to jump
through hoops to get there (just look at the code in vline.el), and in
the end it's often slow and you have to make compromises (vline vanishes
while scrolling, for example). And it would probably even look ugly...

Regards,
David