Re: Emacs TODO List: Have a command suggestion help system that

From: Thunk Out
Subject: Re: Emacs TODO List: Have a command suggestion help system that
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2010 00:08:23 -0500

Well, the intent with messages being strings was that the user could
define their own warning messages. As it stands, any command name
quoted `like-this' gets extracted, and its keybindings, if they exist,
are displayed along with the suggestion.

I agree on the silliness of mapping commands to characters. I'm
working on converting it over to use full command names.

Logging matched patterns, interactive pattern definition and a
separate config file are all good suggestions. I'll put them on the
TODO list.

recs-mode can be made *really* annoying, if you wish. It can ding and
steal the window selection out from under you. And `recs-hook' is run
for every pattern match, so you can define arbitrary code to run on
match.

Thanks for your input,
--tlh

On Sun, Aug 1, 2010 at 7:19 PM, Wojciech Meyer <address@hidden> wrote:
Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

>> I'm working on a command suggestion minor mode. I just realized that this is
>> also an item on the Emacs TODO list (C-h C-t), and that I should contact you
>> about it on off chance that you want it, or have some suggestions about its
>> implementation. The code is located at http://github.com/tlh/re-suggest.el
>
> I'm not sure why you bother turning the commands into single-letter
> chars, rather than just use their full name, but it looks interesting.
> I think the most interesting part is the recs-cmd-regexps.
>
> What do people think about this?
> We could definitely add it to elpa.gnu.org, but of course, this would
> require you signing some copyright paperwork for it.
> BTW, please try C-u M-x checkdoc-current-buffer a few times to fix some
> minor coding convention details.

This reminds me a peephole optimisation in compilers. Indeed I see
a potential. Looks good. However the messages should be really symbol
names. Also, a good thing for further would be remember missed
combinations, and have access to a summary of missed commands. More
annoying this mode would be - better chances for somebody to get rid of
bad habits.  Making rules programaticaly would be an advantage too,
keeping those in some configuration file.
And I agree, mapping to letters is not needed, and less readable.

>         Stefan

Cheers;
Wojciech