Re: Key bindings proposal

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: Key bindings proposal
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2010 12:52:20 +0200

On Wed, Aug 4, 2010 at 12:20 PM,  <address@hidden> wrote:

> I dont understand this. I normaly have menus disabled, but I enabled
> them now to see. In the File menu I have an entry like:
>
>  "Visit new file... C-x C-f"
>
> Isn't that a "keyboard accelerator"?

Yes, but it is not menu accelerators. Those are underlined chars in
the menus. (At least on w32 all applications I know of have them,
except Emacs.)

> Or do you mean there is no obvious way to traverse the menus from the
> keyboard? Could we then promote the use of F10 already in the menu bar
> text? (f10 is bound to menu-bar-open here)
>
> perhaps like the 1st line of the help menu or something:
>
>  "Use F10 to start traversing menus with kbd"

That is not the standard way to access menus (at least not on w32).
You normally use the Alt key to access them. (Here too it is important
to notice that with all applications I know of on w32 you can access
menus that way. Except Emacs.)

Maybe it is still good to tell about f10 since most non-Emacs users
are not aware of that.