Re: Key bindings proposal

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: Key bindings proposal
Date: Sun, 08 Aug 2010 18:22:33 -0400

Uday S Reddy <address@hidden> writes:

>> It's not essential, but I really appreciate having Meta on the outside
>> (where my little finger can press it).  It's also nice in X because of
>> the number of window managers that willy-nilly steal Alt for their own
>> use.
>
> I agree.  After having thought about for a day, I realize that it is a
> perfectly logical thing to map Windows keys to Meta.  It is wasted
> keyboard real estate otherwise.

No, this is too idiosyncratic to make it the default.

Even for non-default usage, putting Emacs in charge of the Windows key
seems unacceptable.  This is the domain of the operating system.

Doesn't the Windows world have some equivalent of `xmodmap'?  That's the
conceptually correct way to handle this.