Re: Key bindings proposal

From: Uday S Reddy
Subject: Re: Key bindings proposal
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2010 13:49:50 +0100

grischka writes:

>  > So, the more we can violate Microsoft's designs, the better we feel.
>
> It might make you feel better if you can violate their design by decision
> and creativity.  However just violating a design by lack of creativity or
> inability to make decisions wont make you feel better I'm sure.

I have no idea what you are talking about.  The idea of having several
sets of modifier keys is a long established design.  See this page for
example

  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space-cadet_keyboard

> On the topic, I'd recommend to leave the Windows keys alone and instead
> try to get rid of as many Alt-letter bindings as possible to free them for
> menu access.  If then you want to keep say Alt-x, it just means you can't
> have a menu with X... which seems okay.

You haven't stated any reason why you want to leave the Windows key
alone.  And, in particular, why you want everybody else to leave their
windows key alone?

Alt is being used by Emacs as meta.  (Not necessary, but pretty much
forced because Emacs doesn't provide any workable alternative.)  So
there is no way to "get rid of Alt-letter bindings".  I am not sure
you understand what this discussion is about.

Uday