Locks on the Bzr repository

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Locks on the Bzr repository
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2010 17:40:29 +0200

A couple times now, I've had the following kind of message when trying
to commit:

Unable to obtain lock
sftp://bzr.sv.gnu.org/srv/bzr/emacs/trunk/.bzr/branch/lock
held by address@hidden on host wanchan [process #23356]
locked 28 minutes, 51 seconds ago

The first time I thought it was a stale lock so I broke it, but then it
came right back, so I suspect it might be due to something else.
Could it be that bzr grabs the lock when you do "bzr commit" and keep it
held for as long as you're editing the commit message?

If that's indeed the culprit, I think it's a misfeature of Bzr, but at
least we can workaround it by using "bzr commit -m <...>", which I would
then *strongly* recommend.

        Stefan