Re: Usage of standard-display-table in MSDOS

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Usage of standard-display-table in MSDOS
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2010 09:50:03 -0400

> Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2010 16:06:42 +0300
> From: "Ehud Karni" <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden
>
> From another thread, I found Handa san suggestion to use `decode-char'.
>
> So my my check function looks now like this:
>
> (defun check-multibyte-code (byte)
>        (message "Byte: %02X (%d),  M-Char: %04X (%d),  D-Char: %04X (%d)"
>                 byte byte
>                 (unibyte-char-to-multibyte byte)
>                 (unibyte-char-to-multibyte byte)
>                 (decode-char 'iso-8859-8 byte)
>                 (decode-char 'iso-8859-8 byte)))
>
> It fails for Emacs-21.3 because `decode-char' returns nil.

IIRC, Emacs 21 supported only 'ucs as the 2nd arg of decode-char.

> Can you give the reasons to the changes in these functions ?

Two: (1) switch to Unicode-based internal representation, and as
result (2) changes in handling of raw eight-bit bytes.

> I think it is a bad practice to keep the function names while
> changing how they work. It breaks tested code.

I agree, but I think in this case there was no choice, unfortunately.

Anyway, I think the key to solving your problem is elsewhere.  I will
try to explain in a separate mail.