Re: Usage of standard-display-table in MSDOS

From: Kenichi Handa
Subject: Re: Usage of standard-display-table in MSDOS
Date: Mon, 06 Sep 2010 10:30:20 +0900

In article <address@hidden>, "Ehud Karni" <address@hidden> writes:

> > My change was to make (standard-display-8bit 128 255) work
> > as Emacs 21 for a unibyte buffer; i.e. when you visit a file
> > by specifying no-conversion coding-system or by using
> > find-file-literally.

> OK, I misunderstood you before. For text terminal all the 8 bit bytes
> are sent as is. ON x, most of the bytes are displayed as empty boxes
> (i.e. no glyph). I don't know how to set the display table to get
> something more meaningful.

This is the lasted docstring of standard-display-8bit:

standard-display-8bit is a compiled Lisp function in `disp-table.el'.

(standard-display-8bit L H)

Display characters representing raw bytes in the range L to H literally.

On a terminal display, each character in the range is displayed
by sending the corresponding byte directly to the terminal.

On a graphic display, each character in the range is displayed
using the default font by a glyph whose code is the corresponding
byte.

Note that ASCII printable characters (SPC to TILDA) are displayed
in the default way after this call.

So, on X (or on any graphic display), whether it works as
expected or not depends on which font you use as the default
font.  Most TrueType fonts are not good in this repect.  X
core fonts of legacy charset (e.g. -*-iso8859-8) are good.
Please tell me which font is the default for you (by moving
cursor on some Latin alphabet and typing C-u C-x =).

---
Kenichi Handa
address@hidden