Re: Improve input handling documentation

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Improve input handling documentation
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 2010 11:11:07 +0200

--------> read-char, read-event
--------> read-key
--------> read-key-sequence
> ???
> read-number, read-string, etc. (???)

That looks pretty good and would be a good addition.
One error: key-translation-map comes after [local-]function-key-map.

BTW: is there a good reason why C-x 8 is on key-translation-map rather
than in input-decode-map, function-key-map, or even global-map?

> NOTE: the description of read-key and input-decode-map makes it sound like
> read-event comes before coding systems, but empirically this is not true.

input-decode-map doesn't decode coding-systems but things like
escape sequences.

        Stefan "who wants to obsolete key-translation-map"