Re: Delphi, Pascal, delphi-mode, pascal-mode, and free software

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Delphi, Pascal, delphi-mode, pascal-mode, and free software
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2010 17:49:39 +0200

>> One thing I'd like to see with delphi.el (other than renaming it) is to
>> use "standard" facilities like the syntax-table, rather than do all the
>> parsing by hand.
>> Do you have any idea what that would take?

> No, this is all still pretty new to me.  Is there a guide to best
> practices for major modes anywhere, or could you suggest a "good" mode I
> could use as an example?

I've been working on octave-mod.el to make it use generic facilities
(some of them brand new), so you could use it as a guide.
I don't vouch for the whole octave-mod.el file, but at least the
syntax-table, buffer-navigation, and indentation should be a reasonably
good example.  You can try it on test/indent/octave.m.

If you have a good Object Pascal file to use, we could add it as
test/indent/opascal.pas which could also be used for regression tests
(e.g. of the indentation code).

        Stefan