Re: lisp/gnus/.dir-locals.el

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: lisp/gnus/.dir-locals.el
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2010 19:27:59 +0200

> From: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>
> Cc: Juanma Barranquero <address@hidden>,  address@hidden
> Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2010 12:52:02 +0200
>
> > Stefan, why do you object?  .dir-locals.el is not a valid
> > Lisp file, so it can never be compiled successfully, except by chance.
>
> I only disagreed that adding such a line was a better solution than to
> fix `recompile'.

Glenn fixed `recompile', but that does not help "make bootstrap",
because the latter byte-compiles each .el file in a separate Emacs, it
doesn't use `recompile'.

> Just like using "*.el" (which is documented on Unix to skip hidden
> files) is a better solution.

When the w32 Emacs is built using a Unixy shell, the dot-files can be
skipped as they are on Unix.  But we also support building Emacs with
the stock Windows shell, which knows nothing about dot-files.