RE: C-d deleting region considered harmful

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: C-d deleting region considered harmful
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2010 12:24:21 -0700

> If the region has been selected moving backwards, it would appear
> natural to have DEL/C-d delete the region.

If you want the direction to come into play here, then I would think you would
be proposing this for C-d (only) when the region is selected backwards and DEL
(only) when selected forwards.  Yes, one could argue that that is natural in
some sense.  But having DEL delete in both directions is inconsistent with
wanting C-d to be directional.

> It is probably too clever to let DEL/C-d/Backspace not delete
> the active region only if it "faces the other way".  Though it
> would likely cure Miles' problem.

FWIW, in Windows both DEL (Backspace) and <delete> (Delete) delete the active
selection, but C-d does lots of different things depending on the context (it is
more likely to delete some other object - e.g. an entire mail message or
application window).