Re: Buffer size limitation in insdel.c

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Buffer size limitation in insdel.c
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2010 14:15:19 +0200

> From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <address@hidden>
> Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2010 12:59:56 +0200
>
> There were no comments on my -Wconversion post, so I thought there was
> no interest in making the int/EMACS_INT overflows go away.

You have a lot to learn about the corporate culture here ;-)  Lack of
response does not necessarily mean lack of interest.  It just means no
one volunteers yet.

> The bugs are trivial to find with -Wconversion, and most of them are
> easy enough to fix.  But some may be more subtle?

Some are, indeed.  But those are few and far in between.

> A methodology to fix this up with be for us to compile with
> -Wconversion, pick a file, any file, to work on, fix all the
> -Wconversion warnings in that file, and then see if Emacs still works.
>
> Then check in and move on to the next file.  :-)
>
> I'm up for taking a few files, but I'm not up for doing all 5400
> warnings.

I already started, feel free to join, and thanks.

For now, I simply go through the sources by hand, it's easy enough to
spot the obvious problems.  In a nutshell, any variable declared as
`int' is a suspect, at least in some source files that are frequent
offenders.  When this is out of my way, I will use -Wconversion.  That
sounds easier than going through 5000 warnings; YMMV.