Re: svn propedit with vc?

From: joakim
Subject: Re: svn propedit with vc?
Date: Sat, 09 Oct 2010 16:15:22 +0200

Dan Nicolaescu <address@hidden> writes:

> address@hidden writes:
>
>> Would it be possible to support "svn propedit" with vc?
>
> What exactly would you want to do?
> (I am familiar with VC, so I could help with that, but not familiar with "svn
> propedit" at all...)

Svn supports meta-information for files and directories. These can have
all sorts of semantics, or user-defined.

Basically a property behaves like a special type of file, or a commit
message. I'm not proficient enough with VC to know exactly how it would
fit in the existing infrastructure. I suppose many other SCM:s just
store meta-data as plain files, like .gitignore or whatever.

My concrete use-case is editing the svn:externals property, which is
described here:

http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.0/ch07s03.html

So, I do svn propedit svn:external ., and emacs pops up due to
EDITOR=emacsclient. However, this isnt convenient when on a remote host,
so I imagined VC could take care of this case remotely, just as with
files.

Heres the help message for propedit:

,----

`----