Re: bug#7260: 24.0.50; DEL screwed up

From: Andreas Röhler
Subject: Re: bug#7260: 24.0.50; DEL screwed up
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2010 19:06:27 +0200

Am 22.10.2010 17:17, schrieb Jason Rumney:
Helmut Eller<address@hidden>  writes:

* Richard Stallman [2010-10-22 12:22] writes:

     >  I think most people now agree that `C-x C-x' shouldn't activate the
     >  region when transient-mark-mode is switched on, but nobody
     >  has actually altered that function to stop doing this.

C-x C-x is the main way to activate an existing region in Transient
Mark mode.  To make that require C-u will be a different pain in the
neck.

The change for C-d and DEL to delete all regions was too radically
incompatible to make made without polling the users first.  The right
thing to do is take that change out, then address the issue the right
way: by polling the users.

I haven't been asked, but I too think C-x C-x should not activate the
region.  That always annoyed me.

I have always used C-x C-x for navigation purposes.  Now that
transient-mark-mode is on by default,

which I think is the real issue at stake here. Fiddling exchange-point-and-mark afterwards, means dressing it from behind.

A different exchange-point-and-mark behaviour will break behavior at other places.

Please restore default of transient-mark-mode (ie. off)

The other major annoyance is the kind of former delsel-mode now default.
Just teribble, unusable for me and may others, as I read.

Andreas

 I find it an annoyance that the
region is activated as a side-effect of swapping mark and point.

Reactivating the region is not something I've ever found the need to do,
but if I did, I would consider the swapping mark and point to be an
annoying side effect, and would prefer a command that does not have that
side effect.