Re: Emacs daemon doesn't terminate on SIGTERM any more

From: Jan Djärv
Subject: Re: Emacs daemon doesn't terminate on SIGTERM any more
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2010 12:05:48 +0200

Ulrich Mueller skrev 2010-10-24 11.17:
On Sun, 24 Oct 2010, Jan Djärv wrote:

What Emacs needs is some sort of notion of when user interaction
is not OK. For SIGTERM it is almost never ok, as it might be the
window manager/system/whatever that is shutting down. Even
desktop.el will try to ask questions sometimes (i.e. desktop-save
is set but there is no desktop file yet), which is annoying. Maybe
introduce some interaction-ok-p predicate?

Things that might ask questions should be on
kill-emacs-query-functions, not kill-emacs-hook, shouldn't they?

Not sure. Things like desktop.el doesn't want to cancel the
shutdown, just ask some questions. The message that started this
thread "The current server still has clients; delete them? (yes or
no)" is from a function run from delete-frame-functions, which is
run by delete-frame.

As far as I can see, the question is asked in function server-start.
Which in turn is called from kill-emacs-hook via function server-mode.

Correct, I must have looked at the wrong function.

        Jan D.

Also it doesn't make any difference if one answers the question with
yes or with no. The shutdown will proceed in either case.

Ulrich