Re: Async DNS lookups

From: Ken Raeburn
Subject: Re: Async DNS lookups
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2010 12:15:10 -0400

On Nov 1, 2010, at 12:09, Tom Tromey wrote:
> A couple other approaches come to mind as well.
>
> You could run the synchronous resolver in a new thread, and have the
> main thread run the event loop.
>
> You could use a small helper program instead of calling the resolver
> in-process.  That is basically the same as the previous idea,
> substituting a process for a thread.

These would have the advantage that, rather than interacting with DNS directly,
you can call getaddrinfo and use /etc/hosts or anything else configured by
nsswitch or equivalent.  Assuming that all name-resolution calls should go
straight to DNS (when you're not specifically looking for non-A/AAAA/PTR data)
would be incorrect....

I think getaddrinfo_a looks nice, but I'd rather not use it unless we also have
a workaround for non-glibc systems.  Presumably that would use your basic "spin
off a thread that blocks in getaddrinfo and invokes a callback when done"
approach, which (according to the blog Tom pointed to) is all getaddrinfo_a
does anyways.  Maybe that means the code could be borrowed; maybe that means we
should just implement the latter and not bother with getaddrinfo_a.

Ken