Re: undecided vs utf-8

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: undecided vs utf-8
Date: Fri, 05 Nov 2010 13:50:02 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

> How do other erc clients solve this problem?

I haven't used other clients than zenirc and erc, but I queried the
channel I'm on.

It seems like older clients just let you set one charset, and that's
used for decoding all the strings, so it somebody uses the wrong charset
(and you're on an ornery channel) everybody gets upset.  ("Charset
wars.")

Newer clients apparently just check for utf-8-ness first, and if it
looks like utf-8, it's decoded as utf-8.  If not, the per-channel
charset setting is used.

  address@hidden * Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen