Re: Merging emacs-23 into trunk

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Merging emacs-23 into trunk
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2010 01:38:29 -0500

> From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <address@hidden>
> Cc: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>,
>     address@hidden
> Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2010 11:52:38 +0900
>
> Eli Zaretskii writes:
>
>  > > Actually, I'm not cherry-picking
>  >
>  > I think you are.  From the docs of "bzr merge":
>
> You of all people whould know better than to trust the Bazaar docs!

You of all people should know that in this case Bazaar docs say what
the developers meant and faithfully describe what bzr does.

(My problem with Bazaar docs is that it doesn't say enough.  When it
does describe something, the description is usually correct, although
it could be misplaced and hard to find.)

> There are two different, though closely related, definitions, of
> "cherrypicking" in practice.

Since this is about Bazaar, I was talking about this meaning, and this
meaning alone.

> Stefan, who is familiar with both GNU Arch and Darcs, I believe,
> correctly perceives Bazaar behavior as a huge regression vs. Arch in
> this respect.

The issue is not whether this bzr behavior is useful.  The issue is
whether it is by design and documentation.  Stefan thinks he was not
cherrypicking, so he believes that the parts of the docs I cited are
not applicable to what he did.