Re: Emacs tool bar on Fedora14

From: Jan Djärv
Subject: Re: Emacs tool bar on Fedora14
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2010 18:44:05 +0100

Stefan Monnier skrev 2010-11-12 00.01:
** GTK tool bars can have just text, just images or images and text.
Customize `tool-bar-style' to choose style.  On a Gnome desktop, the default
is taken from the desktop settings.

BTW, I couldn't figure out how to customize it in Gnome.  I do remember
seeing such an option somewhere (maybe in gnome-appearance-properties)
at some point in the past, but I can't seem to find it any more.

There used to be an Interface tab in Appearance but it has been removed by the Gnome people. I guess that is logical, as they seem to move towards a customization-free desktop. They decided that both-horiz (icon followed by text) is what everybody should have.

Now you have to edit gconf directly either with gconf-editor or with
% gconftool-2 --set --type string  /desktop/gnome/interface/toolbar_style both

Other values are both-horiz, text or icons.

        Jan D.