Re: URL + efs confusion

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: URL + efs confusion
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2010 23:45:26 +0100

Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden> writes:

> LMI> (url-retrieve "file:/c:/thing/foo" #'ignore)
>
> LMI> which ends up prompting me for my ftp password, since c:/thing/foo is
> LMI> interpreted as an efs file name.

I meant ange-ftp.  I mean, tramp.

> I think the file: prefix should cause anything following to be
> interpreted as a local file.  It seems like the URL library is the one
> that should open the file literally without any filename handlers.

Yes, I think that would make most sense.

Although I'm not quite sure what the right fix here is.  The `url-file'
function is talking about ange-ftp and efs and has a lot of (featurep
'xemacs) (by the way, is it OK to remove xemacs-related stuff from the
Emacs version of url?  Or is it maintained outside of Emacs, too?) and
stuff...  but here's the backtrace when I get prompted for my password:

  tramp-file-name-handler(file-directory-p "/c:/thing/foo")
  file-directory-p("/c:/thing/foo")
  url-file-build-filename([cl-struct-url "file" nil nil nil 21 "/c:/thing/foo"
nil nil nil nil])
  url-file([cl-struct-url "file" nil nil nil 21 "/c:/thing/foo" nil nil nil
nil] ignore (nil))
  url-retrieve-internal("file:/c:/thing/foo" ignore (nil) nil)

Are there any variables I can bind to just disable the entire
remote-file-access-thing in `url-file-build-filename'?

  address@hidden * Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen