Re: rainbow-mode

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: rainbow-mode
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2010 08:03:59 -0600

On Tue, 16 Nov 2010 14:25:08 +0100 Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <address@hidden>
wrote:

LMI> "Stephen J. Turnbull" <address@hidden> writes:
>> IIRC, the most recent discussion concluded that none of the half-
>> implemented modes is good enough, especially given the nice features
>> in the other half-implemented modes, and nobody stepped up to the
>> plate to merge them, document the result, and make sure the result
>> conforms to coding standards etc.

LMI> Again, I think that illustrates my point.

LMI> I think experience shows that packages that are in Emacs do get hacked
LMI> on to add features that people feel are missing.  Small packages that
LMI> live outside of Emacs don't get that treatment, as a norm.

So let's check everything on the Emacs Wiki into Emacs.  By your theory
that will get the Emacs developers to work on all of it.

I'm trying to say that:

- there's plenty of bit rot in Emacs itself

- this is a manpower problem, not a segregation problem

- new packages don't add complexity linearly

Ted